Monday, March 14, 2005

Country Music and Me

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that years ago, I would be one of the first to admit that I had a lot of fun making light of country music. However, that all changed one particular day when I walked into my Grandmothers house and one of my cousins had a Garth Brooks concert video tape playing. I stopped to check it out for a few minutes and was absolutely captivated!



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Garth Brooks was known for his lively stage shows and, man, did this tape ever display that. You know, within a week or so, I had a few of his CD's and that is what started me on the path of listening to country music. For a while, I didn't really consider myself a "country music fan" as it were. I basically listened to my Garth stuff in my truck while driving. I eventually tuned into the area country stations and began to hear the many other talented artists and my world rapidly changed. I found myself listening to ONLY country music. Country music has hooked me "hook, line and sinker". I don't know. Say what you will. But, country music touches me like no other music has ever done so. It's a long way from back when I used to absolutely love Jeff Lynn and his band - Electric Light Orchestra.

I love the lyrics and the stories behind the country music songs of these days. I love the fact that I can listen to a country song and hear all of the words and follow along. And I'll admit, that there are plenty of country songs that have literally brought me to tears. Not necessarily from the story that they are telling, but by the thought that country music has gotten so close to my heart and certain artists have reached so far into my sole.


About twelve or thirteen years ago - don't know exactly how long ago, Garth Brooks presented a free concert in Central Park, NY. When that was announced, I just knew that I had to go. There was no way I wasn't going to go see my hero in person. I ended up going up there alone. I was in Central Park at around 6:30 in the morning for his concert that wasn't starting until 8 that night. Didn't matter to me. And believe me, I wasn't the first one there. There were thousands there ahead of me. Somehow, I managed to be in the right spot at the right time as the picture below can attest to how close to the stage I got to be. I'm telling you, it was the most electrifying day in my life. I will never forget that day. Oh yeah, it wasn't hard to spend the day with the two young ladies who came down from Canada for the concert either!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This was a fun day!


But Garth ran his course, he made his multi-millions of dollars and "retired" from the biz. I will always be indebted to Garth for getting me into country music. However, I've moved on and have found a multitude of other artists that have become favorites. Let's take a look at some of them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Kenny Chesney is my guy these days.


Without a doubt, Kenny Chesney has become my favorite male country singing artist. I don't think there is a Kenny Chesney song that I don't like. BUT, if I had to pick a favorite of his - I guess I would have to say "The Good Stuff" ranks right up there for #1. The song is basically about this dude who has a small tiff with his wife or girlfriend and heads out to this bar and finds the old bartender alone at the place. The bartender asks what'll he have and he says "the good stuff". The wise old bartender informs him that he wouldn't find that at the bar, cause the good stuff is really things like - the first long kiss on a second date - the way your bride looks with rice in her hair and eating burnt suppers the whole first year and asking for seconds to keep her from tearing up. In the end the bartender tells him to go home and tell her that he loves her and to look into her eyes so filled with love and to "drink it up" because THAT'S "The good stuff"!! It is such a great song! Another thing that I like about Kenny is the fact that he never forgot where he came from. In fact, he employs two of his former high school buddies on his tour and management staff. I think that's pretty cool.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Brad Paisley is one whale of a talent!



Another male vocalist that I truly enjoy is Brad Paisley. Brad has the distinction of being the youngest performer to ever be inducted into the Grand Ole Opry. And rightfully so. His style of music is only his own. Like Kenny Chesney, I don't think there is a single song of his that I don't like. Two of my favorites - The Fishin' Song and his most recent hit, Mud on the Tires.



In my opinion, the "King" of country music has to be George Strait. George is a no frills country singer. While others go with elaborate stage shows and clown around on stage, George simply lets his music do the talking. In fact, his songs scream with talent. Album after album after album have produced one hit after another. They say that the country music flavored movie "Pure Country" which stars Strait in the lead role as Dusty Chandler, isn't a biographical effort to detail George's role in country music, I say, it's pretty darned close. Anyway, I have seen the movie a number of times and enjoy it every time I watch it.


"Kix" Brooks and Ronnie Dunn have been the top country music duo for so many years, it's almost a foregone conclusion that they will win the award every year. Well, almost. But these two guys are a perfect match for each other and their style of music! I saw them a number of years ago at the Allentown Fair and I am glad that I did. Like George Strait, they just keep rollin' out the hits. Hits to many to mention but a few are Whiskey Under the Bridge - Boot Scootin' Boogie - Next Broken Heart and We'll Burn that Bridge when we get there. And for the longest time, I have always thought that Ronnie Dunn has the greatest male voice in country music.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Brooks and Dunn on stage

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Ronnie Dunn can really belt out a tune



I have also seen Montgomery Gentry at the Allentown Fair. The only thing I regret about seeing them when I did is the fact that I didn't really appreciate it at the time. You see, they were a brand new act at the time and I think they only had one hit song and that was "Hillbilly Shoes". There hit "Cold one comin' on" is one of my all time favorites and their latest "Gone" is also a fantastic song. I stated a bit earlier that Brooks and Dunn had a virtual lock on the country music duo awards. Well, it was Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry that knocked them from that post a few short years ago. These two make up one ass-kickin country duo - HELL YEAH!



Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Eddie Montgomery and Troy Gentry - HELL YEAH!



But it isn't only the guys that I like in country music. Oh hell no - not by a long shot. I have often said that county music has some of the prettiest damned women in the world.



I said that I thought Ronnie Dunn had the best male voice in country music, well, Sarah Evans is his female counterpart. I first fell in love with Sarah's voice back when she came out with the song "No place that far" that she sand with Vince Gill supporting her with background vocals. Sarah has this great ability to make her voice - well, I like to say it "flutters". It sounds so darned pretty when she does that, and it never sounded better than in this song with Vince. One of her more recent songs that I really love is "Perfect".




Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sarah Evans is Perfect!!!!!


If George Strait is the king of country music, Reba McEntire would be my Queen! I think Reba is absolutely gorgeous and man, does she have the voice of an angel. It doesn't hurt that I also love her smile. Reba will always have a place in country music and she has racked up the hits over the years to support that theory. She has branched out from her music over the last few years with success on the stage in Annie Get Your Gun and more recently, is the star in her own weekly television show.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Reba - one of my all time favorites. So darned pretty!

Martina McBride is another of my favorite female songbirds. An interesting fact about Martina is that she got her break in country music by running the t-shirt stand at Garth Brooks' concerts. That's right. She ended up marrying Garth's tour manager John McBride and she began to get the breaks and that eventually culminated in her being voted top Female Country music star. And on a personal note, in my opinion, Martina has the absolutely prettiest eyes of any female in country music. They are stunning!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Martina!!


One of the latest entries in female country music is Gretchen Wilson. Oh my lord is this girl hot! I mean that a number of ways. Her first album, Red Neck Woman, featuring the song of the same name, has become the fastest selling debut country album of all time if I'm not mistaken.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Gretchen Wilson - way more than just a Red Neck Woman!!


And last but certainly not least, is Faith Hill. I have fawned over Faith. I have claimed that she is one of the most beautiful women on the face of the Earth and I think I still believe that! I forget which video it was of hers, but they showed her dressed up in different styles of clothes from different era's and damn, she looked great in every one of them. She is just a classic beauty! And she has some pipes - the woman can sing!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



And then there's Faith Hill!



So, if you ever see me toolin' down the road in my truck and I'm seemingly singin' away, you can be sure that it's country music that I'm singing to. Beleive it. Hell yeah.


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home